Please verify that following documents are enclosed with the application:
DD-214 and two Picture ID's
VFW Post Family Assistance Center Representative, VA Representative that verifies the member's military status and financial hardship. This statement must be signed and dated by the Representative.
Copy of the bills for which you are requesting assistance. This must include the account holder's name and account number, as well as the creditor's name and phone number with the area code. For assistance with repairs or other services, two different written estimates on the company letterhead are required. (For Example, if requesting assistance with rent, a copy of your lease agreement is required.)
YOUR APPLICATION CAN NOT BE REVIEWED WITHOUT
ALL OF THE ABOVE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION!
BECAUSE WE CARE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The Service Member or Veteran must have been Honorable Discharged from the military within the past 12 months or have been active duty within the past 12 months prior to applying.
The applicant must be the service member, or the applicant must be currently listed or eligible to be listed as a dependent of the service member under the DEERS.
The hardship must be primarily due to:
• Deployment, military service, or natural disaster
• The result of the onset of a medical emergency or death of the service member or his/her dependent(s)
The hardship cannot be caused primarily by:
• Civil, legal or domestic misconduct, or any issues that are a result of spousal separation or divorce
• Financial mismanagement by self or others, due to Bankruptcy
Applicants can receive funds only once, all grants are paid directly to the creditor and not to the applicant.
EXPENSES ELIGIBLE FOR PAYMENT:
• Housing expenses-mortgage, rent repairs, insurance
• Vehicle expenses-payments , insurance, repairs
• Utilities and primary phone
• Food and incidentals
• Children's clothing, diapers, formula, necessary school or childcare expenses
• Medical bills, prescriptions & eyeglasses-the patient's portion for necessary or emergency medical care only
• Credit cards, military charge/debt cards, retail store cards
• Personal, student and payday loans
• Unauthorized travel expenses
• Negative Bank accounts
• Cable. Internet, and Secondary Phones
• investigational or cosmetic medical procedures & expenses
• Taxes-property or otherwise
• Child support, alimony, or legal expenses
• Military debt, or debt owed to a friend/family member
• Furniture, electronic equipment & vehicle rentals
• Down payments on homes or vehicles
• Reimbursements for items already paid for
• Bills obviously due to excessive use or mismanagement
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Department of Florida, because we Care Program reserve the right to make exceptions a case-by case basis to the fore mentioned criteria.
Ones we have received your completed application a representative may contact you to discuss the specifics of the case and I or to request additional information. This contact does not imply approval of your application.
We will contact you as soon as a final determination has been made in your case.
Please Note: We are unable to respond to status check requests while your file is being processed. If you have not received contact from us after (2) business days from submitting your application, please contact us.
Please send completed application to our VFW State Director:
State "Because We Care" Director
9851 Gilchrist Drive
Seffner, Florida 33584
Or E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org